Update: Watch our IGTV video interview with ORS founder Candice Betty about Helichrysum essential oil. We discuss what she uses it for and how to make sure you use it safely if you have sensitive skin.
Helichrysum italicum is an herb with powerful antioxidant and anti-aging benefits, a heavy-hitting ingredient you won’t want to miss out on if you want younger looking skin or to reduce redness.
Better known as Immortelle, Helichrysum essential oil comes from a flowering herb that grows in the areas of southern Europe and along the Mediterranean. Helichrysum is related to the daisy family, and its small yellow petals stem from strongly scented leaves.1
Helichrysum has been used for centuries, dating back to Ancient Roman and Greek times, where they would decorate the statues of their gods with floral crowns of Immortelle.4 The plant continues to be used to care for the skin, brewed as a tea, and dotted on the skin as a luxurious perfume.
Benefits of Helichrysum italicum
Now you may be wondering, what would my skin benefit from this essential oil?
Immortelle oil is a powerful essential oil that has been shown to help reduce the appearance of fine lines and other signs of aging.2 It is rich with antioxidants, which help protect skin from premature aging at the cellular level.
Helichrysum essential oil also has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce the redness associated with inflammation which is common for people with rosacea, eczema, and allergies. To read more about reducing redness with of Helicrysum oil, read our other article here.
Helichrysum can also help speed up the skin’s natural healing process and reduce scar formation.3 This is great news for people with acne. It helps acne in three ways, according to ORS founder Candice Betty.
- Healing: Immortelle’s healing properties help heal existing acne faster and with less scarring.
- Anti-inflammatory: Its anti-inflammatory properties help to reduce redness and painful swelling of current acne, allowing the skin to transition to the healing phase.
- Antibacterial: Helichrysum reduces bacterial growth on the skin, which can prevent the formation of new acne.
Uses of Helichrysum oil
Immortelle, once incorporated into your skincare routine can provide your skin the look of a healthy, youthful glow. Though purchasing the pure form of Immortelle as an essential oil can be expensive.
An alternative to this would be incorporating skincare products that contain the essential oil in the ingredient list. This still provides your skin with the benefits without breaking the bank. Organic Radiance Skincare offers the Ultimate Facial Serum and Herbe Sois Calming Moisturizer can both be easily incorporated into your skincare routine that contains Immortelle.
Immortelle, when applied at the topical level can help your skin’s natural healing process, prevent scar formation, and is packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. The herbal addition is great to reduce the signs of aging and helps give your skin a healthy glow. It also helps people with skin conditions such as Rosacea to reduce redness.
If you’re looking for a smooth and inexpensive way to incorporate Helichrysum italicum, we recommend you start by adding a Helichrysum serum or moisturizer to your skincare routine.
Visit our website to see more!
- Helichrysum Italicum Essential Oil https://www.planttherapy.com/helichrysum-italicum-essential-oil
- Everything You Need to Know About Helichrysum Essential Oil https://www.healthline.com/health/helichrysum-essential-oil#benefits
- Helichrysum italicum: from traditional use to scientific data. Daniel Antunes Viegas, et al. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24239849/
- Helichrysum italicum: The Sleeping Giant of Mediterranean Herbal Medicine. Giovanni, PhD Appendino, et al. American Botanical Council. http://cms.herbalgram.org/herbalgram/issue105/hg105-feat-helichrysum.html