What’s the best essential oil for acne?
Still hoping to have clear skin when you grow up…
…but you’re way past prom night?
Essential oils not only help acne symptoms, but help to manage the underlying issues that contribute to adult acne. We will discuss the best essential oils for acne and a homemade acne treatment cream is made with one of the best essential oils for acne and reducing acne scars – Helichrysum.
Haven’t heard of it? Read on…
What causes acne?
Adult acne is something everyone wishes they left behind with their teenage years, but it’s not just hormones that spur clogged pores in your skin.
What happens is when the pores and hair follicles are blocked, your skin’s natural oils cannot be secreted and start to build up. Bacteria multiply and your skin fights back on both fronts, causing inflammation and your best friend – adult acne.
Essential oils for acne
Thankfully, we have access to essential oils to help us deal with acne.
What’s even better, is that many oils not only treat the symptoms of acne, but help to manage the underlying issues that contribute to acne. Essential oils can help balance hormones, reduce stress, improve complexion, and regulate skin’s oil production. These benefits make essential oils the ideal natural treatment option for adult acne. Always dilute essential oils before applying to skin, unless otherwise noted. Test new oils on an earlobe to test for sensitivities.
Some of our favorite essential oils for acne are:
- Lemon essential oil – a natural astringent, helps reduce the appearance of pores, and has antibacterial properties
- Oregano essential oil – a natural antiseptic and antibacterial oil, scent may be a bit strong for the face
- Melaleuca essential oil (tea trea) – strong scent but has powerful antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties
- Frankincense essential oil – antibacterial and anti-inflammatory benefits
- Helichrysum essential oil (Immortelle) – a natural anti-inflammatory oil, it helps reduce the redness and swelling associated with cystic acne and roscaea, as well as fading old acne scars. This oil can be applied neat, meaning it does not require a carrier oil.
DIY Essential Oil Acne Treatment
Makes 1/4 cup (lasts about 2 months)
- 2 tablespoons almond oil
- 1 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoons beeswax
- 1/4 teaspoon vitamin E oil
- 1/2 tablespoon shea butter
- 4-6 drops of Helichrysum essential oil (Immortelle)
Helichrysum is one of the best essential oils for both acne and acne scars. It is an expensive essential oil, but it’s many benefits are worth the price tag.
We use coconut oil for acne because of its antimicrobial properties and because it helps restore the protective acid layer (think balances pH) on the skin, which is disrupted by face washing.
Bring a pot filled with approximately 3 inches of water to a boil. While the water comes to a boil, pour all of the ingredients into a glass jar or bowl. Reduce the heat below the water pot, and place the jar or bowl into the water so that the ingredients melt – stir occasionally.
Once the mixture has melted, pour it into a small glass or heat resistant jar. Allow the mixture to harden at room temperature, then cap the jar, and store in a cool place.
Apply a small amount in the morning under your sunscreen and/or at night after your face wash and toner.
We know, this sounds like fun…
…but you’re super busy right now. If getting all these ingredients together sounds too time-consuming, Herbe Sois Calming Moisturizer is our favorite acne-fighting face cream (it’s got Helichrysum oil in it). All the work is done for you, and 10% of the proceeds are donated to eco-friendly causes.
If you liked this article, don’t miss out on our newest natural skin care tips and recipes. Subscribe to our email list here.
The Science of Ance http://thescienceofacne.com
Top Ten Essential Oils for Mature Acne & Scars http://www.livestrong.com/article/73382-top-ten-essential-oils-mature/
Essential Oils help combat acne and scarring. http://www.naturalnews.com/030969_acne_essential_oils.html