Did you know that the order that you use your skin care products makes a difference in how effective they are?
Read on and watch the video to make sure you’re using your skin care products in the right order and receiving the full benefits from them. After watching this video and/or reading this article, you’ll know how to layer your cosmetics like a pro.
If you’re anything like me, you’ve invested a significant amount of money to buy clean skin care and beauty products. Let’s make sure you’re getting the most from the products you’ve invested in!
We discuss what to use for double cleansing, a new product for daily exfoliating, Candice’s favorite Serum, when to use face oils, and how you should use chemical and physical sunscreens differently.
We sum this up with a neat infographic below for you to download as well!
[VIDEO] How to Apply Skin Care Products in the Right Order
As mentioned, don’t forget to order your complementary calming moisturizer sample here.
Morning Skin Care Routine Order
- Facewash: Start your day with a fresh face using a gel cleanser like Purifying Black Facewash that does not overly-foam. Ingredients used to increase foaming can be drying to your skin. Foaming is not necessary to cleanse your skin.
- Toner: Restore your skin’s natural pH with Clarifying Toner and prepare your skin to absorb your products. We love this toner because it has naturally ocuring alpha hydroxy acids.
- Treatment Products and Prescriptions: You want to apply Rosacea products from your dermatologist or prescription Retinol products right after your toner.
- Serum: Protect your skin with antioxidants and vitamins to neutralize free radicals you encounter in the air. Reduce redness and inflammation with essential oils used in The Ultimate Cocktail Facial Serum.
- Chemical Sunscreen: This type of sunscreen works by turning UV rays into heat, and your skin releases this heat. Chemical sunscreens need to fully react with your skin, so you don’t want to dilute them by applying any moisturizers underneath them. Check the back of your sunscreen for ingredients like oxybenzone, octinoxate, octisalate and avobenzone to identify chemical sunscreens.
- Moisturizer and Eye Cream: During months when my skin feels dry, I use Herbe Sois Calming Moisturizer in the morning and evening. This gives my skin inflammation-reducing essential oils along soothing shea butter and aloe when my skin needs a richer cream during the day. In the summer, I skip this step and my serum acts as a lightweight moisturizer.
- Physical Sunscreen: This type of sunscreen sits on top of your skin and acts as a physical barrier between the sun and your skin. Check the back of your sunscreen for ingredients like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide to identify physical sunscreens. These sunscreens can look a bit white when applied to your skin but they look great with a bit of BB cream or foundation applied over them.
- Foundation: To see which non-toxic foundations I like, watch my Foundation video in my Makeup Series here.
Save the infographic that goes with this video to your device here:
Evening Skin Care Routine Order
My evening skin care routine has the basics mentioned above with a few changes.
- Makeup Remover: For sensitive skin, I recommend this Micellar Water. If I’m wearing waterproof eyeliner or mascara, I’ll use coconut oil to remove my makeup.
- Purifying Black Facewash
- Daily Cream Exfoliator
- Hydrating Face Mask: What I love about Purifying Black Mask is that its both detoxifying and moisturizing for my skin. The activated charcoal binds and washes away impurities, helping to keep my pores clear and my skin free from breakouts. The cream base makes this a hydrating mask that I can use even when my skin feels dry or irritated. (This step isn’t listed on the infographic.)
- Clarifying Toner
- Treatment Products and Prescriptions: Rosacea products and prescription Retinols
- The Ultimate Cocktail Facial Serum
- Herbe Sois Calming Moisturizer
- Face Oil: Using an oil as the last step in your routine locks in the benefits of all your other products and helps moisturize dry areas.
Now you’ve got a full morning and evening skin care routine. You know how to use your skin care products in the right order to receive the full benefits from them. If you have any questions about why I use a product or about adding a new product to your skin care routine, leave your question in the comments below.
Don’t forget to order your Complementary Sample of Herbe Sois Calming Moisturizer before you leave!
1 thought on “How to Apply Your Skin Care Products in the Right Order”
Loved this. Great info and thanks for the infographic. I listened to the video while I was getting ready this morning:)